Saturday, 12 December 2015

DataNow In Location Sync has changed my life... Seriously!

In Location Sync has changed my life for the better.... let me tell you why!


AppSense launched DataNow a good few years ago now and it was always a little tricky to configure everything to work just the way you wanted. In my relatively small environment I have a thin client configured to connect to a Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 non-persistent VDI pools. I also have a couple of Remote Desktop Session Host servers which publish applications to the non-persistent VDI machines. On top of this I also have a Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 8.1 tablet. Quite a complex configuration for a home network, I'll be the first to admit that, but nothing that any of AppSense's customers are unfamiliar with. I've always had to have a complex workflow to work out whether I needed to redirect user folders to my home drive or to my AppSense DataNow private map point. The workflow went something like this:

Since installing DataNow 3.6 and configuring In Location Sync I no longer need to worry about this. In fact, I don't even need to configure folder redirection within my configuration anymore. I've replaced the complex folder redirection workflow with a single Set Registry Value action that defines the InLocationSyncFolders value as seen below:


When I log on as a user my folders behave as though they're redirected in that I see all of my content that resides on my home share. When I open a file it syncs using the DataNow client to my endpoint and is launched. 

Now, I said in the introduction that its changed my life for the better. The reason for this is this method no longer requires me to manage and maintain offline files, which is a dark art in itself. I've had far fewer application compatibility issues as folders aren't actually redirected, no user workflow changes whatsoever and... I can access my files from my phone so when my wife called me last week when a document she had emailed herself hadn't arrived I could send her the file from the garage where my car was being serviced. 

Obviously there are some steps required in order for an environment to support this configuration... 
  1. A resilient DataNow implementation 
  2. DataNow client deployed to endpoints
  3. DataNow client configured (Sample Configuration)
If you would like to discuss how DataNow can help your organization please get in touch.

Richard